LAS CRUCES, N.M. – The New Mexico State volleyball team hits the road for its final nonconference weekend at the Stetson Invitational in DeLand, Fla., on Sept. 17 and 18. NM State opens play agaist USF on Friday, Sept. 17, at 9 a.m. (MT).
WHERE TO WATCH
The only match this weekend that is set to be streamed is NM State’s match against host Stetson. Aggie nation can stream all the action live on ESPN+.
NM State’s match against USF will be broadcast live thanks to USF and iHeart Radio. Fans can stream the audio feed here.
Fans can keep up with all three matches with live stats, here.
NM STATE NOTES
• Heading into the season, the Aggies ranked 14th among NCAA Division I programs with a .749 winning percentage from 2016-20. Counting matches played this season, NM State holds a .786 winning percentage since 2016 with an overall record of 118-32.
• NM State picked up its first win against a Big 10 opponent since Sept. 20, 1986, with a five-set win over Northwestern in the Pan Am on March 3, 2021.
• Alana Embry picked up the first two double-doubles of her career against Northwestern (19 assists, 12 digs) and UTEP (22 assists, 15 digs).
• Senior setter Carly Aigner-Swesey now has five double-doubles on the year after notching 15 assists and 10 digs against Western Carolina at the Colonel Challenge.
• Kalli Schoening was unstoppable against Western Carolina, as she recorded a career-high seven blocks against the Catamounts.
• AVCA All-Region middle Lia Mosher leads the WAC in hitting percentage, hitting a red-hot .458 on the year. Mosher is currently on a 12-match streak, dating back to last season, of matches hitting .310 or above. Mosher has yet to hit below .333 this season.
• Mosher’s .458 hitting percentage also ranks 13th nationally.
• Shaney Lipscomb ranks 8th in the WAC in hitting percentage with an efficient .322 on the year.
• Libero Darian Markham was named WAC Defensive Player of the Week after averaging 4.89 digs per set at the Colonel Challenge.
• Markham is averaging 4.63 digs per set on the year, good enough for fifth in the WAC
• NM State leads the WAC and ranks 35th nationally with a .152 opponent hitting percentage.
• The Bulls are 4-4 but are coming off three-straight wins at the Dolphin Classic in Jacksonville, Fla.
• The two teams have met twice and are 1-1 against each other. NM State won the last matchup, 3-1, in Tampa on Sept. 2, 2016.
• USF is led by All-AAC First Team outside hitter Marta Cvitkovic, who was also a unanimous Preseason All-AAC selection. She currently leads the Bulls with 3.25 kills per set.
A LOOK AT BETHUNE-COOKMAN
• This is the first meeting all-time between the Aggies and the Wildcats.
• BCU has struggled so far this season as they are winless through eight matches.
• The Wildcats have won just one set on the season.
• Bethune-Cookman has struggled offensively, hitting just .043 on the year.
• Stetson is 4-5 and coming off three-straight wins at the Georgia State Invitational.
• Second Team All-A-SUN honoree Elena Djokovic leads the Hatters in both kills (110) and kills per set (3.24).
• Middle Alexis Thompson has been steady for the Hatters with a .342 hitting percentage on the year.
LAST TIME OUT
The Aggies dominated the field, finishing with three sweeps at the Colonel Challenge hosted by Eastern Kentucky. Shaney Lipscomb, Darian Markham and Katie Birtcil were named All-Tournament team with Lipscomb taking home MVP Honors.
NM State heads to Utah to open Western Athletic Conference play with a rematch of last season’s WAC Championship match at Utah Valley on Thursday, Sept. 23, at 6 p.m. (MT)
++NM State ++
#14 Carly Aigner-Swesey S 5′ 8″ Senior
#23 Katie Birtcil OH 6′ 0″ Junior
#11 Shaney Lipscomb RS 6′ 2″ Senior
#1 Darian Markham L 5′ 4″ Sophomore
#21 Lia Mosher MB 6′ 2″ Redshirt Senior
#9 Kalli Schoening MB 6′ 2″ Sophomore
#10 Alana Embry S 5′ 9″ Freshman